History Of The Leather Jacket
Earlier this week I showed you a look wearing my favorite leather jacket. I wanted to continue writing a bit more about leather jackets and a brief history on them. Also I wanted to share with you some of my favorite leather jacket street style looks and some great leather jacket deals from Nordstrom.
Here are some interesting facts on the history of leather jackets:
- In early 1900’s brown leather flight jackets were worn by aviators and members of military.
- During WWII they became known as the “Bomber Jacket”.
- In 1928 Irving Schott designed the first motorcycle jacket and sold it for $5.50 (that’s right) at a Harley Davidson store in NYC.
- In 1953 the leather motorcycle jacket reached iconic status after Marlon Brando wore it in the movie “The Wild One”.
- Soon after James Dean followed by wearing his famous leather jacket in “Rebel Without A Cause” making it the ultimate symbol of cool.
- In 1960’s this cool factor continued with Steve McQueen wearing his leather jacket with his famous aviator sunglasses.
- “The Fonz” from Happy Days continued the tradition in 1970’s with wearing his famous leather jacket that is now on display at Smithsonian Institute.
- The 80’s brought the punk rock look with Blondie and Billy Idol decorating their leather jackets with studs and safety pins.
Today leather jackets are included in all the fashion shows and stores at many different price points and I think I can easily say that almost every woman and man will have at least one leather jacket in their life time.
Below I have picked some of my favorite street style looks showing how different women wear leather jackets. I have also selected some of my favorite leather jackets from Nordstrom that are on sale right now in case you are looking for a leather jacket.
To view the leather jackets on the Nordstrom website – Simply click the image of the jacket.
Below Are My Picks From The Nordstrom Website – A Few Are On SALE